Tuesday, April 24, 2018

wing and a prayer

my head is still reeling, but i should probably write about it while it's still fresh. as i mentioned, the fantasy faire opened on the 19th, and i've been cavorting about, having a blast with friends old and new and buying a couple trinkets. i've caught some concerts, storytelling, fun games and shenanigans.

today was the first of four shows from the troupe i'm with, the moonbeam dancers. and hoo boy did it not get off to a good start.

everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. one dancer quit on the spot, and the other one pulled out. i completely panicked, and with the dancers asking for help with a backwards stage and a non-existent stream ten minutes in, i stepped up.

i asked for everyone's songs and i somehow pulled a set out of my ass at the super last minute. because i'm a trained actress, i managed to get everything going. that is, when i wasn't hyperventilating and having one of my biggest anxiety attacks in a long time.

while i flubbed a name, played the wrong song and quickly covered, and overall felt like i did a mediocre job, everyone was saying thank you for stepping in when shayna's net gave out and she was kicked offline.

the dancers were right there with me, trying to soothe me while i scrambled their songs as fast as i could and announced them live in front of about fifty people. kingston was there, also reassuring me.

i got a shoutout when it was over from one of the dancers, saying how the show wouldn't have worked without me. which is true, one was saying to just pull it until i pulled a miracle out of my ass and jumped on the airwaves.

the audience was happy, they laughed at my improv and i got complimented (though they didn't know the elf in the front row was the one who was spinning until the shoutout). hell the dancers even begged me to stream for the rest of the shows. i felt i should probably have the set ready for tomorrow, just in case.

i kept getting compliments and thank yous and everything, but i don't feel like i did a good job. and i don't know why. maybe because my anxiety was cranked to eleven, and i was doing everything in my power not to faint or throw up while i shook so badly i almost couldn't run my program properly.

one show down, three to go. help.

1 comment: